05 August 2016

Life's Garden





Floral gate-fold card in yellow, grey, and black.

Challenges

Can You Case It: CYCI#131 Colour Challenge
Crafter's Cafe: #154 Flowers

Supplies



Putting It Together

In the most recent Stampin' Up catalogue is a most lovely die set, the Detailed Floral Thinlits Set. I've been dying to use it ever since I saw it and then got my hot little hands on it.

The colours of the Can You Case It challenge are Greys, Yellows, and Black. I thought this would be fitting, for a floral asymmetrical gate-fold card.


I cut a 4.25" x 12" strip of the Bazzill Blackbird Grasscloth cardstock and used the large deco die on one side of it and used the cut die to have a top margin edge matching the decor. I scored that side of the strip for the fold line below the decorative with a margin equal to the side margins. (This picture is from my first run when I scored the fold much closer to the decor.) I then measured 5" from that fold to score the next before using the small decor for the same margin on the other side.


The handy thing about an edge cut die separate from the decor die is that you can make a liner match up perfectly by only using the cut die.

I cut my Stampin' Up Barely Banana (retired) cardstock to the same 4.25" width. This was a handy way to use large scraps from a project I did months ago.


I slipped the liner card stock behind the black and positioned the cut line directly above the black's cut line. I held on to it in that position to get a Post-It on to hold the die in place and remove the black cut piece.


I ran the liner through my Big shot to have a perfectly cut matching line to the black. I did the same for the smaller side.


I  dry fit the pieced in place and felt the yellow was a bit overwhelming. Plus, as this was the first run with the black, I didn't like how large the gap was between the two sides. It didn't look bad, but just not what I wanted. I'll use that black cut for a later date.


I recut the black with only 5" between the sides and a larger margin between the decor and fold, the same margin as the sides. The two sides slightly overlap on some of the cut edge. If I were to redo this, I would make the back of the card 5.25".

At the beginning of the project, I had dry fit some other papers and cardstocks as potential liners behind the decor and liked the way this silvery grey translucent Spellbiners paper looked but mentally filed it away for a different project. However, I decided having both sides yellow was a bit overwhelming so decided to use the silver-grey for the smaller side.

I cut the grey as a liner and dry fit it. Voila!

I applied Multi-Medium Matte to the underside of the black and adhered the liners in place. Since I didn't like the look of the silver-grey liner inside the card and I wasn't really aiming for translucency for that panel, I adhered the small yellow liner behind the silver-grey to have yellow on both of the inside flaps. As I see now, this did cause the silver-grey to look less grey in the pictures. It looks more silver-grey in person.


I cut a darker grey panel 4" x 4.75" and dry fit it as the interior. I stamped the sentiment in Canary Colorbox pigment ink and used Wow Pearl White embossing powder over it. The sentiment is on the left side beneath the larger flap.


Even with the folds sharper burnished, the card does not stay entirely closed.


I added simple band of black satin ribbon with silver lines.


The sentiment is from a Kraftin' Kimmie Stamps set. I did actually look through the sentiments on the few Stampin' Up sets I currently have but none of them suited this card as well as this one.


7 comments:

  1. Very, very pretty card, Rijacki! And the sentiment on the inside goes so well with the elegance of the dies. Thanks for playing along with us this week at Can You Case It! – Kayla

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love the die you used! It really made a pretty card! Thanks for joining us at CYCI this week! Jeanne

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a creative card, Rijacki! Love the floral die cut! Thanks for playing along with us at Can You Case It?- Kevin

    ReplyDelete
  4. Super cute! I love this die cut! Thanks for joining CYCI :) Eva

    ReplyDelete
  5. Fabulous step by step photos - your card turned out great.
    Thanks for joining in at Simon Says Stamp Wednesday Challenge this week.
    Big hugs,
    Caryn xxx

    ReplyDelete
  6. Gorgeous card Rijacki! the floral die is fabulous and I love the colours behind the black silhouette, the whole design is stunning! :-)


    Congratulations! you have won the $50 voucher on the Simon Says Stamp Wednesday Challenge
    luv
    Lols x x x

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your comments. I do read every one. Your comments help me to grow as an artist. It warms my heart to see wonderful comments and constructive criticism.