02 September 2016

Back to School


A CAS (Clean and Simple) card to celebrate the first days of the new school year. The best really is yet to be. Learning new things is a treat to expand the mind.

Challenges

Can You Case It: Back to School
Less Is More: Sticker
Addicted to Stamps and More: CAS
The Colour Throwdown: Red, Green, Yellow, Blue
Colouring in Scrapland: Anything Goes
Craft Your Passion: Anything Goes
Crafting From the Heart: Anything Goes

Supplies


Putting It Together

I intended this as a quick and simple card, but got a little side tracked. But, let me step back to the beginning.

One of the challenges is Back to School. I looked through my stamps and supplies for anything fitting the theme and was coming up pretty empty until I remembered the Dreamweaver stencil I recently bought with a pencil. Ah-ha, says I, this will work. A pencil on a simple background and an inspirational sentiment.(my other thought was involving a school of fishes but I didn't have a sentiment to tie it in well).


Wanting to do more with my recently purchased Distress Crayons, I gave it a go. Not only did I get the colour running under the stencil, I also discovered brass stencils can be rather tough on the finger (which is what I was using to smudge the crayon after wetting it with water). Blah. I even gave it two tries. It just wasn't working.


So I switched gears and went to my limited number of Distress Markers. Three or the five colours I have fit: Spiced Marmalade for the tapered wood toward the tip, Stormy Sky for the metal around the eraser, and Fired Brick for the eraser. I used the brush end to follow the edge of the opening and my water brush to pull the marker ink in. To complete the colours of a standard pencil, I used Distress Ink mini pads with my waterbrush: Mustard Seed for the very familiar pencil colour and Black Soot for the tip. 


I fussy cut the pencil (because the tip had run under the stencil *sigh*) and found a simple nice background in my stash of paper. I made a strip of the patterned paper and adhered it to the centre. I also found the perfect sentiment to fit my thoughts in my sticker stash!


I put the pencil in the centre, pointing to the future, adhered flat.


Inside, I stamped the other part of what I want to convey about school. I got an ink smudge by the 'e' so another little sticker, perfect to the inspirational message, came to my rescue, a heart with a smile. (The heart really is red, but the light and camera angle make it look black.)


8 comments:

  1. Wow. I love this. I love the tutorial/visual of how you made it. I am a fan of water-coloring too. Thanks for sharing with us at CYCI.... Christine

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a super card, so fun and in fantastic bright colours! Great to see your steps laid out too, really helpful. Thanks for playing along at Less is More :) (PS - just for future reference we have a limit of 5 challenge entries including ours x)

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is the perfect card for this challenge! Very cute.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow, that is brilliant! Your pencil looks gorgeous! :)
    Thanks for joining us at this week's CYCI challenge - Josefine

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is terrific. The pencil is so eye catching. What a happy accident on the inside too as it let you use another sticker. Fab work. Thank you so much for joining us at Less is More.
    Sharon xx

    ReplyDelete
  6. cute pencil
    big and sweet
    love your idea and beautifully made
    thanks so much for playing with us at ATSM
    hugs
    Monika (ATSM DT)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Lovely card,stunning idea and love your coloring...thank you for joining us at ATSM...hugs Željka DT

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great card! So original and fresh! Love the brilliant sentiment.
    Thanks for joining us at Colouring in Scrapland.
    Regards Nelida DT

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your comments. I do read every one. Your comments help me to grow as an artist. It warms my heart to see wonderful comments and constructive criticism.