10 September 2016

Magical!


A young wizardess to cast a spell on you to have a Magical Birthday. This shaped card making magic is part of my month as one of the guest designers for Kraftin' Kimmie Stamps.

Challenges

Kraftin' Kimmie Stamps Saturday Challenge: Shaped Card
Simon Says Stamp Monday Challenge: Stamp It
Craft Your Passion: Anything Goes
Crafting from the Heart: Anything Goes
Inspiration Destination: Anything Goes

Supplies


Putting It All Together

The Saturday challenge this week, at Kraftin' Kimmie Stamps, is for a shaped card. I decided to use the outside die of Spellbinders set to make the card and a stamp set from July for the image.


I cut one medallion for the front of the card base from Neenah 110lb card stock.


I scored additional card stock for a shallow fold. I put the die across the fold for a partial cut.


I used a bit of removable tape to hold the die in place before sending it through the Big Shot.


This gives me a back panel with a flap to affix to the front.


On a panel of watercolour paper, I traced around the outside of the die as a guide to the image placement and painting. It's larger than where the die will cut.


I put the panel into the Misti. Since the stamp set is photopolymer, I left the foam in under the paper. Magnets anchor the panel in place.


I laid the stamp directly on the panel placed inside the traced shape.


Closing the Misti door picks up the stamp on the clear acrylic.


Open the door to ink up the stamp. Since I would be watercolouring, I used Distress Archival Soot Black.


Close the Door to stamp the image. Easy peasy.


After stamping, open the door to check the image. If you need to double stamp, just re-ink and close the door again. The magnets hold the paper in place so the stamp will go to the exact same place. Very handy. The Misti is a great investment.


And now the image is ready to be painted.


When I watercolour with Distress Inks, I smush the mini pads on the  plastic sheet I use for my work area. For the little girl's skin, I used Antique Linen, Tattered Rose, and Spun Sugar with Victorian Velvet for the shading. The colours of the sorcerer's hat is from my love of the Sorcerer's Apprentice, Mustard Seed and Blueprint Sketch with shadows of Chipped Sapphire.


Cracked Pistachio is a lovely green for her dress.


I echoed the colours of her hat on the book and added Shaded Lilac to her dress. Shaded Lilac is a bluey light purple. I added shading on both the Cracked Pistachio and the Shaded Lilac with Stormy Sky, a greyish darkish blue.


I debated various colours for her shoes and finally decided to match her dress, but with red laces to match the red tassels on her hat and the bookmark dangling from the book.


I added a bit of silver pen to the star on her magic wand and then decided to use Wink of Stella. I also used a touch of Wink on the red gem of the book.


I washed on a pale pink background of Spun Sugar.


I lightened the pink background by using a clean wet brush and lifting the colour, pulling it outside of the outline.


I die cut the painted panel and added it to the card base front. While adding it, I liked the look of the painted panel offset to the base.


I used the Misti to stamp the sentiment. First I lined it up using a T-square.


I stamped using the pink ink (Bubblegum?) from the Hero Arts August Monthly Hero set. I double stamped and then stamped with silver from the Colorbox trio, Treasure.


To attach the front of the card to the back, I added adhesive to the 'flap' on the back panel.


I carefully lined up the back with the painted panel, so it would be vertical and not tipped.


The points of the pink match up to the back panel points.


To cover the inside flap, I had cut a partial panel with 80lb Simply Defined. I matched up the points and adhered it to the inside of the front panel.


While I am working on a project, I take notes on what I use. I also invariably leave off a few items because I forget to write them down. I forgot to note Shaded Lilac and Stormy Sky but remembered them while writing.


And done!


From the side..


Have a Magical Birthday!


No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for your comments. I do read every one. Your comments help me to grow as an artist. It warms my heart to see wonderful comments and constructive criticism.