01 October 2017

Cherry Blossom - SheepSki Designs blog challenge inspiration, PrismaColour pencils



Cherry blossoms are a cheerful sight. They're a harbinger for the delicious fruit to come.

This card features a digital stamp by SheepSki Designs coloured with Prismacolour pencils and embossing on foiled paper with a Spellbinders dimensional embossing folder.

Cherry Blossoms is my design inspiration for the October blog challenge for Sheepski Designs. Come play along with us, the theme this month is PINK. You don't need to use a SheepSki Designs digital stamp, but we do love to see them. You can also play along with us on the Facebook challenge.

Shop: https://www.etsy.com/shop/sheepskidesigns
Blog: http://sheepski-designs-challenges.blogspot.co.uk/
Facebook group: https://www.facebook.com/groups/1730005463906336/

Putting It Together

I decided to brush the dust off my set of Prismacolour pencils and open up the September class from Kit & Clowder (I subscribed a couple months ago but hadn't opened any *gasp*) since it was all about flowers. I used the lesson to help me colour up these lovely cherry blossoms. One of my favourite flowers because they are harbingers of one of my favourite fruits, even if the flowers make me sneeze.

I have a limited set of 72 pencils that's not the same as the 72 set currently sold. After taking the class and expanding my skill with them, I need more pencils :)


I printed the image on Bristol for an ultra white base that's pencil friendly.


The start of the blossoms and the colours used for them: pink, Blush Pink, Light Peach, Light Cerulean Blue, and White. The tiny bit of blue in the flowers is something I picked up from the class and it really makes them.


I used a soft makeup brush from the dollar store to whisk away any pencil bits. I brushed frequently to keep from accidentally running my hand over any of those bits.


I also sharpened frequently to keep a very sharp point. I need a better sharpener as well as more pencils.


For the leaves, I used Dark Green, Apple Green, Spring Green, and White. I'm not entirely happy with how bright the leaves are, I need more light green colours.


For the bark, I used Dark Umber, Burnt Ochre, Sienna Brown, Light Brown, Yellow Ochre, and White. One of the things I learned from the class is blending and blending it together with the white. I really love how the bark looks here.


For the fluffy bits of the flowers (pistols? stamens? gah, I forget), I used Dark Umber and Sienna Brown. I love how the blossoms looked after I finished them.


For the background, I used Peacock Blue and Light Cerulean Blue along with a tortillion that I mangled. I should have used a stump but I don't have any in my tool box yet. Another thing on the list..


I trimmed the panel to highlight the image.


I decided to partially frame the image with a rose gold foiled card stock but it seemed too start. Then I remembered this canning embossing folder I recently acquired. I ran a couple strips through the Big Shot in the folder and.. perfect. The canning gives dimension and a bit of Asian feel to the blossoms.


I used strips to conserve the foiled paper but it did present a bit of a pickle to make sure the strips were lined up perfectly with the image panel and in the right placement for the card base. I positioned the trimmed embossed strips on the card base using removable adhesive to temporarily adhere them. I used more on the top edge to temporarily adhere them to the image panel. I then marked, in pencil, on the back of the image panel where the inside edges of the embossed strips should be.


I added Scor-tape to the back of the image panel. I used strips of the release paper to make the tape less sticky so I could move the embossed panel while positioning it. I used Scor-tape to adhere the panel because it works better with bumpy stuff than tape runner.


I positioned the embossed strip on the back of the image panel and then...


Removed the release strips.


With the embossed strips adhered to the image panel,..


I can use it as a single piece.


I used Scor-tape and strips to adhere it all to the cardbase.


The image panel sits on top of the embossing.


Inside, I used a stamp from Impression Obsession. I like this quote. We need more trees.




Come join us in the challenge. You can make a card or scrapbook layout or mixed media piece or anything else that strikes your fancy. You don't need to use a SheepSki Deigns image to enter but if you do you'll get an extra image if you're our winner or one of our top three!

To help you along, how about a discount coupon for the shop, 10% off: SKIRIJACKI10

https://www.etsy.com/shop/sheepskidesigns

Supplies



Challenges

Simon Says Stamp Monday: Heavy Metal
A Bit More Time to Craft: Anything Goes
Pearly Sparkles: Anything Goes
Creative Moments: Anything Goes
Addicted to Stamps and More: Anything Goes
Through the Craftroom Door: Anything Goes
Inspiration Destination: Anything Goes
Penny's Paper-crafty: Anything Goes
Simon Says Stamp Wednesday: Anything Goes
Crafty Gals Corner: Anything Goes
The Sketchy Challenge: Anything Goes
Createful Hearts: Anything Goes

11 comments:

  1. Beautifull coloring and tutorial!
    Thank you for participating at our Penny's Paper Crafty Challenge
    Looking forward to see you at the next challenge

    X
    Diana
    Diana's Creations

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful - love your delicate colouring on the flowers.

    Thank you so much for entering our ATG challenge at Through The Craft Room Door this week. Looking forward to see you again next challenge.
    Regards,
    TTCRD DT
    Made by Helen{My Blog}
    Through The Craft Room Door
    ttcrd.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great tutorial! And the soft brush idea is a great tip. Your card is gorgeous! Thank you so much for entering our ATG challenge at Createful Heart Digis & Designs this week. We hope to see you next time too!
    Regards,
    CHDD DT
    Scrapbookingmamaw {My Blog}
    Createful Heart Digis & Designs
    createfulheartcards.com


    ReplyDelete
  4. Very beautiful card and coloring. I loved to see your process. Thanks for joining us at Inspiration Destination. I hope to see you again on the next challenge! Good luck!!! Patricia

    ReplyDelete
  5. Such a pretty card, love to see the process. Thank you so much for joining us at Simon Says Stamp Monday Challenge. Hugs, Sandra

    ReplyDelete
  6. So glad that you join the fun over Simon Says Stamp Wednesday “Anything Goes” Challenge! Awesome details and design! Super work!

    ReplyDelete
  7. How gorgeous your cherry blossoms; such amazing colouring! Thrilled you shared your creativity in the ATSM gallery!
    ~carol

    ReplyDelete
  8. CONGRATULATIONS - you were one of the lucky winners from Challenge #142 at the Crafty Gals Corner!
    Please visit the blog to claim your prize :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Such a Lovely card! I love the colours. Thank you for participating at Creative Moments Challenges.
    Sollan member of the DT

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wonderful coloring on your blossoms. Thanks for sharing your card with us at Addicted to Stamps and More.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hi just love your blossoms and thanks for sharing the process thank you for joining us in The Sketchy Challenges :)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your comments. I do read every one. Your comments help me to grow as an artist. It warms my heart to see wonderful comments and constructive criticism.